Yes, you read it right! Google warns Android users that “Fortnite Battle Royal by Epic Games, Inc is not available on Google Play,” whenever users search for the game or with any similar search terms in the Play Store.
This warning sign is like a clarification from Google, so that users won’t download any malicious clone of the app, which could even result in breach in users’ privacy.
The game is also not available to all Android users yet. The current availability of Fortnite Battle Royale is limited to these high-end phones only –
- Samsung Galaxy: S7 / S7 Edge, S8 / S8+, S9 / S9+, Note 8, Note 9, Tab S3, Tab S4
- Google: Pixel / Pixel XL, Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL
- Asus: ROG Phone, Zenfone 4 Pro, 5Z, V
- Essential: PH-1
- Huawei: Honor 10, Honor Play, Mate 10 / Pro, Mate RS, Nova 3, P20 / Pro, V10
- LG: G5, G6, G7 ThinQ, V20, V30 / V30+
- Nokia: 8
- OnePlus: 5 / 5T, 6
- Razer: Phone
- Xiaomi: Blackshark, Mi 5 / 5S / 5S Plus, 6 / 6 Plus, Mi 8 / 8 Explorer / 8SE, Mi Mix, Mi Mix 2, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Note 2
- ZTE: Axon 7 / 7s, Axon M, Nubia / Z17 / Z17s, Nubia Z11.
Users with any of these Android devices can download the Beta APK of the game from the official website and start playing it. However, depending upon your settings, Android might show you a warning sign that it often shows while installing apps that are downloaded from ‘Unknown Sources’.
Previously, Google got confused in the name and misspelled Royale as ‘Royal’ which the company has already fixed, but it still shows misspelled name of the game in suggestions, as it might be receiving decent amount of searches for that. Apart from the warning message that Google Play doesn’t carry Fortnite Battle Royale, the app doesn’t also show any instructions about how the users can download the game.
The company has taken a bold step by not making the app available via the Play Store. By doing this, the company has cut out Google’s scope of potential revenue from app purchases, which would have been a 30 percent cut.
Epic Games is expected to declare the availability of Fortnite Battle Royale for a wider Android audience later this month.